Raven Electric Electrical Tips and Advice
- An area of importance when it comes to electrics in the home is whether people actually know where their fuse box is fitted and whether they know how to isolate it.
- Do you have in your home a circuit chart of the fuse board so that you know which trip switch to turn off?
Is the condition of the wiring in your home in good working condition?
- If you have young kids you should consider fitting safety caps over the sockets.
- Failing to turn off a socket or pulling out the plug can decreases the life expectancy of the socket. It can also have an effect on the appliance it is connected to. Switches act as isolators if they are not turned off.
- When it comes to earthing, the stronger the earth the safer the appliances can be.
“Do you have in your home a circuit chart of the fuse board so that you know which trip switch to turn off?”
Common Symptoms of old wiring
- Lights going dim when using appliances
- Older style sockets and switches
- Fuse blowing without cause
- Burning smell when using appliances
- Arcing or cracking noise from switches
- Green liquid substance around connections
- Burning smell from switches
Do you have older wiring in your home?
With the amount of electrical devices we have today, the electrical cables in your home have to perform to the highest standards. Older wiring colours are Red, Black and Green and if these colours are present in your home or business, then you have wiring which is probably more than 20 years old.